Pre Season Games 2005 - 2006

Action from City v Olympiacos

Manchester City  3  Olympiacos  1     Thomas Cook Trophy
Saturday 6th August 2005 : Malc at the COMSTAD for Get Your Kits Out

Manchester City came from behind to beat Greek champions Olympiacos, with Bradley Wright-Phillips netting twice.
The Greek side dominated the opening period, taking a deserved lead through Yaya Toure's flashing header. Toure certainly caught the eye in the first half when he dominated the midfield.

Darius Vassell's lob provided the equaliser after strike partner Andy Cole supplied the killer pass.

Wright-Phillips then replaced Cole, the youngster first glancing home Stephen Ireland's cross, before he drilled a neat strike into the bottom corner. It was an impressive performance by Bradley who could possibly have netted on two other occasions with relatively simple chances which a Premiership striker would expect to convert.

Joey Barton was very low key but was well received by the City faithful and hopefully the lad will now cut out the ugly side of his character and mature into a reliable player.

On the whole a decent enough workout but the real stuff starts next Saturday at home to West Brom.....


Another season kicks off
at the COMSTAD

Olympiacos keeper in action

Olympiacos free kick

'Nuff said


Stoke 1 Manchester City 2
Sun Jihai looks like missing the start of the season for Manchester City after being sent off against Stoke at the Brittania Stadium.

The China defender was handed a straight red card by referee Phil Dowd for bringing down Martin Paterson in the penalty area in the 68th minute.

Sun Jihai, who missed most of last season with a knee injury, is almost certain to be ruled out of the first three games of the campaign.

Bruce Dyer, who had earlier given Stoke the lead, failed to convert the penalty, goalkeeper David James making a fine save (see picture left).

Ten-man City then drew level five minutes later with Andy Cole finding the bottom corner of the net - his second goal for the club since arriving from Fulham.

Bradley Wright-Phillips then floored the home side by scoring the winner in the 81st minute with a cool finish.

Manager Stuart Pearce gave a first start to striker Darius Vassell following his 2million move from Aston Villa but omitted Joey Barton.

The 22-year-old midfielder has also been ruled out of the squad to face Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday.

He is due to start a programme of rehabilitation and will not be included in the party until he undergoes counselling.

Barton, who agreed to get help after being fined eight weeks wages following an incident in the team hotel in Thailand, could feature against Olympiacos next Saturday.

He was sent home early from the tour after allegedly lashing out at a 15-year-old Everton fan and then team-mate Richard Dunne when he intervened.

Last Christmas he was fined 60,000 after poking former team-mate Jamie Tandy in the eye with a lit cigar during the club's Christmas party.

With Barton absent, 19-year-old Stephen Ireland was given a run in the middle of the park and showed some nice touches.

City almost took the lead through Kiki Musampa when he rattled in a powerful shot. However Steve Simonsen stood tall and beat his effort away.

The Championship side, under new coach Johan Boskamp, hit back but James managed to smother the ball and block out Mamady Sidibe.

Dyer, on trial, then made the breakthrough in the 52nd minute but City took control late in the game.


Micah Richards' hat-trick led City's reserves to a 4-3 win over Stalybridge.
Steve Wigley's men were 2-0 up early on thanks to a Richards double. The first a header from Willo Flood's corner, quickly followed by his second, a well taken goal after a free kick swung in by Paul Collins. Karl Bermingham's strike made it 3-0 and put the seal on an impressive first half performance following good work by Ishmael Miller. City added a fourth just on the hour mark as the big frontman volleyed home his third from another Flood set piece. The manager then brought off Ricards, Flood and Bermingham to give a run out to Academy lads, Michael Johnson and Kelvin Etuhu as well as a young trialist. This roused the host's into a spirited fight back. An excellent goal from Chris Price, easily Stalybridge's best player, volleyed in off the bar with great power. A somewhat dubious penalty decision gave Celtic hope as they made it 4-2 and 4-3 shortly after. And in a tense finish City had Kasper Schmeichel to thank as he produced a great save at the death. 

                 More pictures from the Stalybridge Celtic game

-                    Wednesday 13th July - Hyde United (a)                lost  0-3
                   - Friday 15th July         - Tranmere Rovers (a)         lost  0-1
                   - Saturday 16th July     - Macclesfield Town (a)       drew 1-1       
- Wednesday 20th July - Bolton Wanderers (a*)      drew 1-1 lost 5-4 on pens
                   - Saturday 23rd July    - Everton (a*)                      drew 1-1 won 4-2 on pens
                   - Wednesday 27th July - Stalybridge Celtic (a)         won 4-3
Saturday 30th July     - Stoke City (a)                    won 2-1
                   - Sunday 31st July        - Sheffield Wednesday (a)    drew 1-1
                   - Saturday 6th August  - Olympiakos (h)  Thomas Cook Trophy  won 3-1
* Rajamangala National Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand